Author: Annie Oldham
Release Date: October 31st 2014
Constance Jerome wants nothing more than to make it through her senior year of high school without being noticed. But when her mother drops the world’s biggest bombshell, flying under the radar just isn’t in the cards. It turns out Constance is a necromancer-one of the few who can travel the realms of the dead. Apparently it runs in the family. And now there’s a threat coming: another necromancer with plans to disturb the living and the dead, and Constance and her mother are the only ones who can stop him. If only they knew who he was. Or what exactly he was up to. A quiet senior year isn’t an option, and Constance must race to stop a high school apocalypse before the balance between the living and the dead is overturned.
MY TAKE ON THIS BOOK
I received this ebook for free from YA Bound Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to the author Annie Oldham and YABBT for the Copy. I am grateful for the opportunity to read and review this book.
I’ve seen movies with a necromancer usually giving a cameo appearance but have never read a book where the main character is a necromancer. That’s what urged me to request a review copy and I’m glad I did.
The book starts out with our main protagonist, Constance Jerome who is starting her senior year of high school and she wants nothing more than to get through it. Since the age of five, Constance has experienced death when her pet hamster dies and her mother brings it back to life. She always had her doubts about her mother like how she is not allowed to enter a closet which her mother keeps it locked all the time with the key hanging around her neck and the mysterious candles. When things get out hand, her mother decides to confess that she is a necromancer and Constance is too. Constance and her mother set out to stop the new necromancer who is actually releasing spirits into the human world.
Now for the characters
- Constance- an outcast, brainy, she is very close with Greta, her best friend. What I loved about her was that she doesn’t give a damn about what others think of her(huge plus for me). There were times where she just spoke without giving a thought which annoyed me but on the whole I liked her character.
- Greta- besties with Constance and basically a social life encyclopedia for Constance. She is loyal and cares about Constance.
- Veronica (Constance’s mom)- a necromancer and has been handling the spirit problems all by herself and then one day decides to tell Constance the truth when major threats emerge. She wants to protect Constance at all costs. I wished she was more educated in the whole spirit world ( at times it felt Constance was the mother and she a kid).
- Seline- queen bee and makes Constance’s life miserable when she feels that Constance is coming in between her and Seth.
- Seth- Seline’s boyfriend, football player and the most mysterious character in the book. One moment he is kinda flirting with Constance and the next he is defending Seline. Hope to see his character development in the next book.
There were times in the book I found it hard to believe that not even one person noticed Constance using her powers. That was like a minus for me but on the whole I really enjoyed this book. It was entertaining and I had no problem getting through it.
Read this book and explore the world of necromancy!!! Looking forward to the sequel!!:)
Review Tour organised by